Thursday, September 7, 2017

EBN A Book About a Culture You are Unfamiliar With: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

I need to get up early for a 4 hour drive to visit my family in Utah, so this is going to have to be my last entry. I'll have to make sure to add another couple entries soon. I might be cutting this challenge a little close the wire if I don't get a move on.

I first heard about this book on a Crash Course Literature series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Kw94qjdQA Part of this might just be my Fangirl-esk love for all things John Green, but I decided I wanted to read all the books on his literature series. I've read almost all of them, but this was one I had never even heard of. I might be the fact all of my up bringing has taken place in especially conservative communities, but I was surprised no one  has ever mentioned this book to me before. I don't know why not, it is amazing. I found the portrayal of both the African people and the European colonists was open and unbiased. I love books that show how not black and white the world almost always is. Every situation is more complex than it appears and to simplify something as big and multi-leveled as the changing environments of Nigeria during is colonization is to blind ourselves to reality. I loved this book and think it aught to be taught in schools the world over, not just Africa. I certainly plan on teaching it if I ever go back to teaching high school. What a remarkable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment